Monday, April 27, 2009

Last year at this time

Last April, I packed a few bags with my maternity clothes and some clothes for 'after.' I had no clothes for the baby and that felt weird. I had hats and booties, books and a sign with his name on it. Not knowing what 'after' would be for us was tough. Would the baby make it through the first days and would we be strong enough to stand next to our son covered in wires, tubes and needles poking out him?

I can still feel the sinking in my stomach I felt at every NST, every ultrasound, every time I felt the baby move. I wasn't alone, so many mothers, CDH and otherwise, have that sinking feeling. It's a shame that any parent would have to think about their child's mortality before he/she is even born. But, I truly believe I was chosen to be a high risk pregnancy. I was picked from above; I guess because I could handle it, not sure. I should include Barry too...he was pretty solid through the whole thing, my rock. Together we did research about what life might be like with a CDHer. We prepared for the possible complications. We prepared for a long and stressful NICU stay. We prepared for bringing home a baby that needed nursing support, therapy, medications, oxygen, a feeding tube, etc. Somehow we escaped a lengthy NICU stay, additional surgeries, at-home support, coming home on O2 and feeding tubes...we were so very lucky.

I'm thinking today of all CDH parents preparing for the next phase in their journey. Little Carter Adler is due today in Cincinnati. Please pray for a safe delivery and smooth beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Jaxson's CDH Journey

Jaxson is a CDH survivor and this blog follows his story and our ongoing efforts to spread the word about CDH.

Jaxson was diagnosed with LCDH at our 20 week ultrasound. His stomach, intestines, spleen, apendix and left lobe of the liver had all herniated into his chest cavity. We were told his chances of survival were less than 50% and that he had an 80% chance of going on ECMO.

He was born at Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and transported next door to CHOP on 5-19-08. He did not go on ECMO, had his repair on 5-23-08, came off the ventilator on 6-6-08, breathing on his own by 6-12-08 and was discharged after 37 days in the NICU.

He is our CDH rock star!