Friday, July 2, 2010

Toy Story 3

My post frequency is starting to boil down to once per month, which I suppose is representative of schedule, of summertime commitments, etc. Speaking of summer, there are usually a few good kids movies released over the summer months. We're now on Toy Story 3 and Shrek 3, I probably saw the the first versions of those movies in the theater with my younger sisters.


In any case, yesterday Jaxson had a very late nap. He didn't wake up until 5:45 pm, when he would normally wake up at 3:30 or so! I figured I would have a wide awake child until around 11 pm. Eek, I'm used to having him in bed by 8:30 which allows me to do house stuff, go back to work (I work from home), or maybe just maybe read a book. My time essentially.


I've been wanting Jaxson to experience the movies for a few months. He's not interested that in TV, much more into books and being outside, but I thought the lure of the big screen would be appealing! I loved going as a kid and into adulthood but can't even tell you the last movie I saw. So partly for selfish reasons, I thought even if I have to sit through numerous kids movies, it would be nice to go again. So, with a few hours to kill before the 11 pm bedtime, I took a chance on Toy Story 3. It was 6:50 pm when I had this brilliant idea, the movie started at 7:25 (15 minute drive from the house) and we hadn't eaten dinner yet. My parenting skills may be questioned here, but I put some turkey and cheese in a baggy, put on our shoes and away we went!


From the moment we got into the ticket line, I could tell Jaxson was going to dig this. He stood beside me, me holding his little hand and him with a big smile and big eyes looking around at everything. The movie posters, bright lights, the teens hanging out everywhere...just the right amount of chaos and it was all new for him. Then with our popcorn in hand, we got in line to go into the theater. I could hear the 'ah's' from the people behind us and I smiled big. I thought how many other milestones we have to look forward to and savor.


I gave Jax his ticket to hand to the ticket taker and there was a confused pause as to what he was supposed to do with this piece of paper. I explained, Jax obliged and then there were some more 'ah's' from the folks behind us. Me, the proud parent announced, "it's his first movie!" More ah's.


So, off we went into the theater to pick our seats. I was placing bets with myself on how far we would get into the movie before he wanted to leave. He watches about 5-10 minutes of any TV show/movie before he's bored and onto the next thing. I figured I had a good 15-20 minutes maybe. Well, I am happy to report he made it through the entire movie loving every second of it and me loving every second too. We talked about various things that happened in the movie on the car ride home, when we got home, and when he woke up this morning. I'm sure this will be a fun topic for days to come!






Not the best picture, but I will cherish it!  This whole experience has me excited for what's next for him and how many of these milestones Barry and I get to be a part of before Jax goes off to college!


I hope everyone has a safe, fun and happy July 4th weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome Jaxson's CDH Journey

Jaxson is a CDH survivor and this blog follows his story and our ongoing efforts to spread the word about CDH.

Jaxson was diagnosed with LCDH at our 20 week ultrasound. His stomach, intestines, spleen, apendix and left lobe of the liver had all herniated into his chest cavity. We were told his chances of survival were less than 50% and that he had an 80% chance of going on ECMO.

He was born at Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and transported next door to CHOP on 5-19-08. He did not go on ECMO, had his repair on 5-23-08, came off the ventilator on 6-6-08, breathing on his own by 6-12-08 and was discharged after 37 days in the NICU.

He is our CDH rock star!